Seven students receive National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship

Seven students from U-M ChE have received a National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship (NSF GRFP).

Seven students from the U-M Department of Chemical Engineering have received a National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship (NSF GRFP).

The NSF GRFP is a five-year fellowship meant to assist graduate students in STEM at accredited universities. The fellowship includes a three-year stipend and access to NSF-supported professional development opportunities.

The PhD student recipients are Omar Abed, Trang Hoang, Jessica Ma, Gregory Reimonn (of Macromolecular Science and Engineering) and Jianchao Zhao. The undergraduate student recipients are Malini Mukherji and recent graduate Anna Kaehr.

“I am overjoyed and grateful for having received this award,” said Omar Abed. “I am thankful for the continued support of my family, friends, and mentors throughout my college education.”

“I am overjoyed and grateful for having received this award. I am thankful for the continued support of my family, friends, and mentors throughout my college education.”

Omar Abed
PhD Student, U-M Chemical Engineering

“I’m thankful for the opportunities that I had that allowed me to be where I am today,” said Jessica Ma. “I’m incredibly lucky to have parents, friends, and colleagues who have supported me every step of the way.”

“I want to thank everyone in the Kamcev Lab and especially my advisor for all of the help and support in writing my NSF GRFP application. I couldn’t have done it without you! It is such an honor to work with a group as motivated and cohesive as ours,” said Gregory Reimonn. “I am so excited and grateful to continue my work with generous fellowship funding!”

NSF awards this fellowship to students early in their graduate studies to help lead them to greater success in the future. The NSF GRFP has supported over 60,000 students since its inception in 1951. It was the first program in NSF after its approval by Congress and is the oldest graduate fellowship program of its kind.

The National Science Foundation (NSF) was established by Congress in 1950 to promote the progress of science in the United States. The organization provides funding for approximately a quarter of all federally supported research at American universities.

In addition to the seven fellowship recipients, U-M ChE students, Saja Al-Saloum and Jonathan Lee each received an honorable mention.