Lloyd L. and Barbara B. Kempe Scholarship: Empowering Undergraduate Students Towards Academic Excellence

Financial support from this scholarship encourages Michigan Chemical Engineering undergraduate students to reach their full potential as future industry leaders.

The Lloyd L. and Barbara B. Kempe Scholarship plays a significant role in advancing the academic journeys of Michigan Chemical Engineering undergraduate students, encouraging them to reach their full potential as future industry leaders. The generous financial support from this scholarship alleviates the financial burden of tuition fees, allowing recipients more room to focus on their education, co-curricular activities and career aspirations.

A current recipient impacted by the assistance of this scholarship, Sahil Sidhu, is a junior in the Chemical Engineering program, minoring in statistics and chemistry.

During his undergraduate studies, Sidhu has had the opportunity to intern at the Holland Board of Public Works Reclamation Facility. As part of  the internship, he gained experience using preventative maintenance schedules, electronic asset management and working on engineering-based analysis of the facility, skills he hopes to use in his career after graduation.

“Thanks to the generous support from this scholarship, I’ve felt a lot more comfortable about studying at the University of Michigan. I am less stressed about paying for tuition and taking loans when I don’t need to. Being able to focus on my classes and other academic pursuits as allowed me to excel and set me up for future success.”

Sahil Sidhu
Chemical Engineering Undergraduate Student

“Thanks to the generous support from this scholarship, I’ve felt a lot more comfortable about studying at the University of Michigan,” Sidhu said. “I am less stressed about paying for tuition and taking loans when I don’t need to. Being able to focus on my classes and other academic pursuits as allowed me to excel and set me up for future success.”

Sidhu is also a member of the Chem-E-Car project team, contributing to designing, testing and building a shoe-box-sized car that starts, runs and stops solely on chemical reactions. As of now, he anticipates a career in the pharmaceutical industry or water treatment and distribution after he graduates in December 2024.

The Lloyd L. and Barbara B. Kempe Scholarship demonstrates a deliberate investment in the future of Chemical Engineering students, giving them more financial freedom as they complete their undergraduate studies. For Sidhu, the scholarship has also fostered a sense of pride in his academic journey.

Sahil Sidhu
Sahil Sidhu, Michigan Chemical Engineering undergraduate student.

“I am grateful to go to such a prestigious university and call myself a Michigan Wolverine,” Sidhu said.

Professor Lloyd Kempe, a faculty member in the department for 31 years, was among the very first educators to introduce biochemical and bacteriological science and processes into the chemical engineering undergraduate and graduate curricula. The scholarship fund established by Barbara Kempe, Professor Kempe’s wife, after his death in 1994 recognizes and perpetuates his value of independent thought, high standards, care for all and his value of treating all persons as individuals. It is also intended to encourage study in the biochemical field at the University of Michigan. Students can apply for the Lloyd L. and Barbara B. Kempe Scholarship when applying for Chemical Engineering departmental scholarships.