Assistant Professor (Courtesy)
Materials Science and Engineering
2034 H.H. Dow
2300 Hayward St., Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2136
Ph.D., Northwestern University (Materials Science and Engineering), 2016B.S., Cornell University (Materials Science and Engineering), 2012
Professor Shahani’s research interests fall at the intersection of solidification science and advanced materials characterization. The solidification and processing pathways of metals and semiconductors continue to be phenomena of great interest to scientists and engineers, involving a complex interplay of many physical effects. As such, Professor Shahani and his team work toward unravelling the fundamental processes underlying the structural transformations of crystals (both classical and quasicrystalline) during solidification and grain growth.
The Shahani group employs a wide range of synchrotron- and laboratory-based methods, including X-ray tomography and diffraction, to peer into the growth dynamics of crystals in realtime. Such studies would not be possible without the great strides in data sampling and reconstruction, computer hardware and storage, and algorithms for processing large datasets in a massively parallel environment. It is anticipated that our uniquely in situ and multimodal approach will open a new paradigm in the realm of solidification and processing science.
We have multiple open positions available for graduate students and postdocs. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Graduate and Undergraduate Courses
MSE535 Kinetics, Phase Transformations and Transport
MSE330 Thermodynamics of Materials
MSE Faculty Outstanding Accomplishment Award (2021)
ARO ECASE Award (2022)
ASM Bradley Stoughton Award for Young Teachers (2022)TMS Frontiers of Materials Award (2023)
AFOSR YIP Award (2017)
ARO YIP Award (2018)
NSF CAREER Award (2019)
- A.J. Shahani and A.J. Clarke, “Processing Metallic Materials far from Equilibrium,” MRS Bull. 45, 906 (2020). DOI: 10.1557/mrs.2020.269
- I. Han, J.T. McKeown, L. Tang, C.-Z. Wang, H. Parsamehr, Z. Xi, Y.-R. Lu, M.J. Kramer, and A. J. Shahani, “Dynamic Observation of Dendritic Quasicrystal Growth upon Laser-induced Solid-state Transformation,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 125, 195503 (2020). DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.125.195503
- A.J. Shahani, X. Xiao, E.M. Lauridsen, and P.W. Voorhees, “Characterization of Metals in Four Dimensions,” Mater. Res. Lett. 8, 462 (2020). DOI: 10.1080/21663831.2020.1809544
- N. Lu,* J. Kang,* N. Senabulya, R. Keinan, N. Gueninchault, and A.J. Shahani, “Dynamics of Particle-assisted Abnormal Grain Growth Revealed through Integrated Three-dimensional Microanalysis,” Acta Mater. 195, 1 (2020). (*equal contribution) DOI: 10.1016/j.actamat.2020.04.049
- S. Moniri, H. Bale, T. Volkenandt, Y. Wang, J. Gao, T. Lu, K. Sun, R.O. Ritchie, and A.J. Shahani, “Multi-step Crystallization of Self-organized Spiral Eutectics,” Small 16, 1906146 (2020). DOI: 10.1002/smll.201906146