maize texture

Professional Engineer License

If you are planning to work in industry, or perform consulting work in the future, you might consider becoming licensed as a Professional Engineer. Most state boards of licensing require that you:

  1. Graduate from a four-year engineering program accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, Inc. (ABET). Michigan is an ABET accredited program
  2. Pass the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) examination. You can do this in your senior year.  Exams are administered during multiple periods each year.
  3. Complete at least four years of acceptable engineering experience
  4. Pass the Principles and Practice or Engineering (PE) examination

For more information about reasons for engineering accreditation, what the exam consists of, et cetera, you can get information booklets from the Michigan Board of Registration at (517) 241-9253 or visit the following web sites:

You should know that a majority of chemical engineers are NOT accredited – the areas that most seem to encourage registration are the more traditional chemical and petroleum industries. If you think there is a chance that you will want to become accredited in the future, we encourage you to take the Fundamentals of Engineering examination during your senior year, while the material is fresh in your mind.

Source: National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) brochure